cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Debate! Are you a Sunrise or a Sunset person?

As of the writing of this post if you search 'sunrise' and 'sunset' here in the community the scales tip in favor of 'sunset' by a margin of 32 results to 25. But is that a true representation of the people? Because the question has never been asked directly, let's settle this once and for all (for now, at least):

Which do you prefer: Sunrises or Sunsets?

Bonus points for your best (or favorite) photo that you have taken!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
49 Replies

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn; the clean, cool chill of the holiday air...

(apologies in advance )

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

I've always said that my enthusiasm for a place is directly correlated to the number of sunrises I choose to get up for. This photo is from a few years back on a climbing trip to Chicamocha Canyon in Santander, Colombia - a spot where I got up for sunrises over and over again! 

Apr18_Santander_2932.jpg

That looks amazing. I went to Medellin a few years back and did some light touresty hiking but I kept imagining how awesome it would be to do some serious adventuring in that part of the world. 

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside

I prefer sunrises but find it more difficult to crawl out of my tent to see them because it can be so cold in the mornings. Sunsets are usually warmer and occur well before I turn in, so I see more of them.

aka "Boonerelli"

So it seems that sunsets are more popular due to the fact that they don't pry one out of bed at an early hour to be observed.

Sunrises, on the other hand, tend to elicit more poetic description.

@TomIrvine 

So then we must ask: Do poets prefer sunrises or does watching a sunrise make one a poet?

Perhaps I should have started another thread...

'...Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated - so;

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges -

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!" '

That is the question!

Your thread has morphed.

0 Likes

Hi @REI-JohnJ 

For me being a sunrise or sunset person is a kind of a project.

Before the pandemic I used to wake up regularly at 5.30am to beat the traffic and go to gym before the activity at work begin. I saw no problems in that. Three weeks into the pandemic and I needed a forklift to get out of bet at 7am. Now I dialed it down to 6.30am and the battle is still on.

My natural rhythms tend to be towards later hours, but I put substantial effort to beat that. Early mornings are beautiful from so many points of view that it is worth the effort (not to mention that the snow is more stable when there is some).

Best,

Dmitry.

@Dmitry - Love the way you phrased it as "kind of a project". I know that it's much easier for me to be out and about early during the summer when we have more light. When I lived up in Alaska I rarely caught the summer's 2am sunrises, but it was definitely easier to hop out of bed at 5am to go up into the mountains.

With that said, happy winter solstice! Here's to longer and longer days for the next six months!

Trying to delete my post, was going to comment on the spring equinox 

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes