cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Debate! Are you a Sunrise or a Sunset person?

As of the writing of this post if you search 'sunrise' and 'sunset' here in the community the scales tip in favor of 'sunset' by a margin of 32 results to 25. But is that a true representation of the people? Because the question has never been asked directly, let's settle this once and for all (for now, at least):

Which do you prefer: Sunrises or Sunsets?

Bonus points for your best (or favorite) photo that you have taken!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
49 Replies

I really *want* to be a morning person and enjoy the sunrises but it just comes so early! lol

I am a sunset kinda guy - for me, there's something incredibly tranquil about watching the sun drop below the horizon and reflecting on the day that's been. Add to that a glass of whiskey and I'm a happy man.

Sunset is also the start of "me time" (which is really night time). My wife likes to go to bed around 10 and my kids are usually in bed by 9;00. In the Summer, I can still catch the final rays of light after they go to bed. Then, when my wife goes to bed, I'll be outside with a drink and, occasionally, a cigar. I'll be outside until midnight or 1:00 AM, reading, writing, watching a movie... 

I just like how I get to hang out and watch the world around me settle down - traffic dies down, street noise quietens, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

@Dad_Aint_Hip 

This is a very compelling sunset argument! One of the things that was great about living in Fairbanks, AK was that I could watch the sunrise without being a morning person. In the winter the sun rises at 11am and at the peak of summer it sets and rises over a few hours late at night! Of course, there were the -20°F temps during that 11am sunrise...

0 Likes

I'm a sunset person for sure. Here is a good one the first time I was in Joshua Tree. The difference in temperature between the shade and sun was wild!

A94EF971-4898-485D-9F50-C0911EDEC62F.jpeg

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside

@Bonfire WOW! What a great photo!

0 Likes

Oh go on!!!!! haha

OK.  I hate to do this, but I'm definitely in the "both" category.  However, like @Dad_Aint_Hip  and others, the sunrises just arrive too early!  However, here is a photo I took of the sunrise just a couple days ago while walking my dog in the back yard (yes, I live next to a cemetery).  And, @hikermor, your weather prognostication was accurate...and, I thought the exact same thing when I saw it!Back yard sunriseBack yard sunrise

I guess I'd have to go with sunrise on this one. I am up before the sun almost every day and I particularly like to watch the dawning of a day. I like the feeling of peace in the pre-dawn air. It feels like you are the first person to ever live. The day is a secret, yet to be revealed. A burly pint of ale, yet to be sipped. A bit of color spreads on the eastern horizon and builds to a crescendo of sunrise, sometimes gray, sometimes pale yellow, or bold red.

Once the sun is up, the secret is out. The first sip enjoyed.

I gave up trying for pictures. The attempt to "capture" the event only took away from my enjoyment and did little to preserve the beauty of it.

But really... I only drink coffee in the morning.

"Once the sun is up, the secret is out." - This reminds me of the Aldo Leopold essay about all of the birds claiming their space each morning. 

wow! so many poets!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes