cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Debate! Are you a Sunrise or a Sunset person?

As of the writing of this post if you search 'sunrise' and 'sunset' here in the community the scales tip in favor of 'sunset' by a margin of 32 results to 25. But is that a true representation of the people? Because the question has never been asked directly, let's settle this once and for all (for now, at least):

Which do you prefer: Sunrises or Sunsets?

Bonus points for your best (or favorite) photo that you have taken!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
95 Replies

I like both!!  I am a morning person, so I se  lots of sunrises (waiting for one right now)....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

while both are nice, I see a lot more sunsets than sunrises, probably because I normally don't get up early enough in the summer to catch the sun coming up.

However, that wasn't the question....but, after due consideration, I'm going with sunset, reason being there seems to be more of a chance of the last sunlight catching the clouds on the way down...or so it seems.

DSC05047 (2).jpgDSC05050 (2).jpg

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

red sky at morning - sailors take warning

red sky at night - sailor's delight

It all about the weather.  Either can be a bit of a non event without some.

0 Likes

Sunrise. 

I love sitting on a mountain top watching the snow-covered peaks start to glisten like Christmas lights in the semi-darkness as the sun begins its daily rise. 

...Wanderer

I really *want* to be a morning person and enjoy the sunrises but it just comes so early! lol

I am a sunset kinda guy - for me, there's something incredibly tranquil about watching the sun drop below the horizon and reflecting on the day that's been. Add to that a glass of whiskey and I'm a happy man.

Sunset is also the start of "me time" (which is really night time). My wife likes to go to bed around 10 and my kids are usually in bed by 9;00. In the Summer, I can still catch the final rays of light after they go to bed. Then, when my wife goes to bed, I'll be outside with a drink and, occasionally, a cigar. I'll be outside until midnight or 1:00 AM, reading, writing, watching a movie... 

I just like how I get to hang out and watch the world around me settle down - traffic dies down, street noise quietens, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

@Dad_Aint_Hip 

This is a very compelling sunset argument! One of the things that was great about living in Fairbanks, AK was that I could watch the sunrise without being a morning person. In the winter the sun rises at 11am and at the peak of summer it sets and rises over a few hours late at night! Of course, there were the -20°F temps during that 11am sunrise...

0 Likes

I'm a sunset person for sure. Here is a good one the first time I was in Joshua Tree. The difference in temperature between the shade and sun was wild!

A94EF971-4898-485D-9F50-C0911EDEC62F.jpeg

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside

@Bonfire WOW! What a great photo!

0 Likes

Oh go on!!!!! haha

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside