cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Deaf Backpacking/Camping/Kayaking Resources?

Hello everyone, 

My name is Donny, I'm Deaf and living in Michigan. I recently started a Facebook group called, ASL Backing, for those who knows American Sign Language and enjoys backpacking, camping, and kayaking. I was looking to see if there's any workshop or classes in state of Michigan and there isn't any. The nearest one is in Indiana. We have four REI locations in state of Michigan and none of them are hosting anything, which I found odd. I wanted the ASL Community, especially the Deaf community to learn about backpacking, camping, and kayaking. 

Any advices on what we can do? We're still new with the whole ASL Backpacking. 

Thanks,

Donny

Labels (3)
2 Replies

Hi Donny, and welcome!

I'm not sure, but I suspect the lack of programs at your local stores might be the result of the pandemic. I recommend calling your nearest store and asking when they might have something. They might even be willing to arrange something just for y'all!

0 Likes

@that1deafguy thanks so much for reaching out! As you noticed, we have not yet resumed in-store classes however we are offering a few classes virtually - here's a quick link for classes in Michigan@DaveBaldwin's advice is spot on - we always recommend connecting with a manager in your closest REI location to discuss what's upcoming and what might be possible!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes