cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: COVID-19 Walk Across America Fund Raiser

Hi Everybody,

Just joined and hope to organize a FUND RAISER for COVID-19 through a team walk across our Great United States of America !!!!!!  My thoughts are in a beginning phase, but ideas I've had are to raise cash for 1. Research into vaccines, 2. Hospitals, 3. People in financial need, etc. This is where I'd like to start.

If you are interested in participating in any way to begin organizing thoughts  / recommendations / actions PLEASE let me know if you are interested. 

Sincerely,      Ed Tok,  Creve Coeur, Missouri.

Labels (3)
0 Likes
5 Replies

Hi @ET  great idea!  Maybe the timing, not so much. Groups less than 10, 6' social distancing, not allowed outside except for essentials (per state to state mandates),

But great idea nevertheless!  How'bout an on-line go-fund-me?

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@Philreedshikes Hi Phil,

Great input! Thanks a lot!

Waited to reply until I gave time to receive other comments, but to my dismay there has been a resounding silence.  That's surprising to me.  Maybe I didn't post it properly?

Thanks again, Ed  

0 Likes

@ET just confirming that you posted correctly!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi REI-JenK

Thanks,

Ed T

0 Likes

From the responses it seems a trend is developing that I hadn't anticipated.  Somehow I must have implied an immediate time frame.  Actually I was thinking about brainstorming now in preparation for doing the hike later without the social distancing restrictions.  By" later" I mean after we  formed a strategy that might include getting some sponsors, advertising and picking a route, etc.  Also I was thinking once the route is chosen hikers could do any distance they want.  And it might be interesting to have a symbol, like a flag, that is handed to each successive group.  It would be carried from the start to the finish points.

Hope this helps to let you know that the proposal was just to get started with brainstorming.  Look, whether or not anything develops from this I'd like to know if there is a group somewhere doing something similar.  Thanks, Ed T