cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best beanie in the world?

Fellow REI-ers, 

Since 2004 I have been wearing the same type beanie (I call it a toboggan, though the Webster definition is a downhill sled), a Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon Hat. I have had four of these same model hats and have suggested many friends over the years of buying one. Many of them have! It is something I would swear by, on hiking trips camping trips, and anywhere outdoors. I even have the worn out first one I got in 2004.This hat is made with quality materials, and has windproof 3M polarfleece. One of the best hats you could ever own, being $40.

I have wondered for the last couple years when MH would replace it with a newer 'cheaper' design, and this year 2020, they have. I purchased the last one from Amazon, in July 2019, however misplaced it on my recent Disney Trip in December. If you go and look around for the 'MH Dome Perignon II hat' you will find it has been replaced by something MH refers to as the 'Dome Perignon Pro' or 'Dome Perignon Lite' --if you read the REI, or Amazon reviews people comment this product IS NOT the same as the once previous made 'Dome Perignon hat' and it has cheaper, thinner quality materials. 

I know everything that is once great does not last forever. 

I have looked and looked, and looked for another one in size XL, and have had to come to the conclusion that it is not out there any longer. My question for you other outdoor enthusiasts, explorer adventurers, and fellow REI-ers, what is your favorite beanie (toboggan), that has suited all of your needs outdoors, kept you warm, cuddled you when it got really cold, or just kept your ears warm?  

IMG_0851.2.png

IMG_0776.1.jpg

  

11 Replies

I agree, mine is about in need of replacement and I can't find another one anywhere. It has been my Chicago winter had since 2013. 

0 Likes

I agree as well. This was my favorite hat. Somehow lost mine last winter and am not a fan of the redesigned beanie style. Much preferred the roomier old version. I can't even find an XL in the new version to try on, but my experience with trying on an L leads me to believe that it would be pointless.   

0 Likes