cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Anyone have any vintage outdoor books you're willing to share (virtually)?

Admittedly, I'm a pretty voracious reader. So before I even set foot on Mount Rainier I read as much as I possibly could about mountaineering and climbing. That, inevitably, led to many interesting outdoor adventures and instruction books. For the last 20 years I have been in search of a first edition of "Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills" to add to my collection. Last week I was able to finally secure a copy and I could not be more excited! 

@hikermor  @Philreedshikes  @Dmitry  @OldGuyot  @bryndsharp @Dad_Aint_Hip @Rob6  @tadoerner @TomIrvine @johnt I thought you'd all find this pretty interesting!

MFOTH1.jpgMFOTH2.jpgMFOTH3.jpgMFOTH4.jpgMFOTH5.jpgMFOTH6.jpg

Anyone else have an outdoor book collection they are willing to share with the community?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
54 Replies

@REI-JohnJ  I was trying to find the exact qoute - thank you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

First Edition of "Fresh Water Fishing" from 1963 and very early edition of the "Foxfire" Survival Series.Fishing Book.jpgFoxfire.jpg

Keep Calm and Paddle On

Late to this conversation but really enjoyed reading the posts here.  I was especially pulled in by the introduction focused on Freedom of the Hills and the memories that brought back for me as the text for the Basic Mountaineering Training Course I took with my father when I was 13 yrs old.  Brought back great memories of both pre and post BMTC shared backpacking trips with my father.  Now sharing that joy with my daughters and son.   I especially love the small Sierra Club published book "A Climbers Guide to the High Sierra".  It is a revised from 1965 of the original 1954 edition edited by Hervey Voge.  Still accurate and helpful for trip planning (though my climbing is limited to class 2/3 high route passes).  Plus some beautiful photos including some Ansel Adams.   IMG_0251.jpgIMG_0252.jpgIMG_0253.jpg 

The "Ford Treasury of Station Wagon Living" (copyright 1957) recently came my way. It was interesting to see the old illustrations and descriptions. It reminded me of "van-life" culture. There is even a car-top tent on the cover.

516+AJFNf2L._SX368_BO1,204,203,200_

@TomIrvine 

That's so cool to see, thanks for sharing! I'm pretty sure station wagons from the 50's were bigger than my first apartment so I can see why it was enjoyable to camp in them!

Long before there was Nomadland and minivan living, there was Ford's Treasury of Station Wagon Living.

...Wanderer

The fins were cool too. 😎

0 Likes

Oh man, where was I when this thread started.  Oh yeah, relocation and medical issues.  Rats.  I have most of these books and more.  I'm still deep in remodeling the new homestead;  the library is unpacked, but the books are just tossed into way too few shelves.  Give me a little while to go through things, get some pictures and such.  Question:  does it have to be paper books?  Those are my books-of-choice, but I have hundreds of electronic copies of books that have been out of print for decades.  Paper copies would require a second mortgage;  electronic copies are....free.  (Hmm, let me think...😀)

This is going to be fun!

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978

@Hikes_in_Rain 

You don't have to have paper copies and you're not too late: there are no rules in this thread. If you wanted to tell us a vague description of a book you remember reading a long time ago it would count! We can't wait to see your collection!

0 Likes

About a quarter of my library is devoted to these sorts of books.  I think.  More or less.  I found some skimming through here I'm going to have to add.  Isn't that always the case?  Need to relay the story of meeting a fella who admitted he was probably the one outbidding me for these books on eBay.  ("They're for my kids.  We have money;  I don't care what they cost!"  Loved that guy.  And his father, who deduces how my little cat can alcohol stove worked, even though mine was the first he'd ever seen.  Retired aerodynamics engineer!)  I'll put a list together, get some pictures.  There's a real wealth of stuff here!  I feel like I just entered Nirvana!

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
0 Likes