cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We are currently experiencing issues with logging in and staying logged in, most often with Chrome, We're sorry and are working hard on resolution.
Highlighted

Anyone have any vintage outdoor books you're willing to share (virtually)?

Admittedly, I'm a pretty voracious reader. So before I even set foot on Mount Rainier I read as much as I possibly could about mountaineering and climbing. That, inevitably, led to many interesting outdoor adventures and instruction books. For the last 20 years I have been in search of a first edition of "Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills" to add to my collection. Last week I was able to finally secure a copy and I could not be more excited! 

@hikermor  @Philreedshikes  @Dmitry  @OldGuyot  @bryndsharp @Dad_Aint_Hip @Rob6  @tadoerner @TomIrvine @johnt I thought you'd all find this pretty interesting!

MFOTH1.jpgMFOTH2.jpgMFOTH3.jpgMFOTH4.jpgMFOTH5.jpgMFOTH6.jpg

Anyone else have an outdoor book collection they are willing to share with the community?

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
37 Replies
Highlighted

Another classic from the pre-GPS days that should still be considered essential reading and essential gear for anyone who ventures into the wildnerness: Be Expert with Map and Compass ( free Google preview.) 

Here's the cover photo from my 2rd(?) edition:

9780684142708-us

...Wanderer
Highlighted

well, looks like a lot of dust on the old book shelf, but it was fun going down memory lane. 

Like I have said before, backpacking is like a gateway drug on the way to mountaineering, so be careful out there! lol

IMG_3115.JPGIMG_3116.JPGIMG_3117.JPGIMG_3118.JPGIMG_3119.JPGIMG_3120.JPGIMG_3121.JPGIMG_3122.JPGIMG_3123.JPGIMG_3124.JPGIMG_3125.JPGIMG_3126.JPGIMG_3127.JPGIMG_3128.JPGIMG_3129.JPGIMG_3130.JPGIMG_3131.JPGIMG_3132.JPGIMG_3133.JPG

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

@Philreedshikes These are great, thanks for sharing!

I have read 'The White Spider' more times than I can remember. In your time in Europe did you ever get a chance to see the Eiger? It's on my bucket list...maybe hike to the bottom, maybe not.

I also appreciate your 'Advance Rockcraft' copy. I don't think there was ever more than one edition if I'm not mistaken.

VintageBooks1.jpg

Highlighted

Heh - I have those books, and yeah, I don't think any other editions were ever published. I bought mine back in the late seventies as a teen. My friends and I did a lot of single-pitch stuff in the Niagara Gorge. 

Highlighted

That's fantastic! Admittedly, my collection of outdoor-based books is virtually non-existent (so far). I'm hesitant to start because if I go down that rabbit hole like I did with my martial arts library, I'm worried that I'll spend so much money that my wife would probably leave me.  🙂

That said... (runs off to start looking at books)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
Highlighted

@REI-JohnJ That is such a cool book!

Unfortunately none of my books are vintage, but I'm slowly gathering a collection! Sadly most of my books are still in a box, as I recently moved across the country, but this is my most recent addition that I am super psyched to read:

books.jpg

www.brynsharpphotography.com
Highlighted

I feel like we are living through some of your other titles in the background: "How Democracies Die."  Anyway, back to happier topics of discussion.

Highlighted

I'm not sure what to do with "Great Leaders Have No Rules." 🥸

Happy reading!

Highlighted

@bryndsharp 

Thanks for sharing! I loved Louv's 'Last Child in the Woods', I had no idea he had another book out. I'll definitely be picking this one up!

Highlighted

This is a great thread - and I definitely want to add a few volumes of my own. I just haven't had the time to snap the pics and write a bit of commentary.