cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Anyone have any vintage outdoor books you're willing to share (virtually)?

Admittedly, I'm a pretty voracious reader. So before I even set foot on Mount Rainier I read as much as I possibly could about mountaineering and climbing. That, inevitably, led to many interesting outdoor adventures and instruction books. For the last 20 years I have been in search of a first edition of "Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills" to add to my collection. Last week I was able to finally secure a copy and I could not be more excited! 

@hikermor  @Philreedshikes  @Dmitry  @OldGuyot  @bryndsharp @Dad_Aint_Hip @Rob6  @tadoerner @TomIrvine @johnt I thought you'd all find this pretty interesting!

MFOTH1.jpgMFOTH2.jpgMFOTH3.jpgMFOTH4.jpgMFOTH5.jpgMFOTH6.jpg

Anyone else have an outdoor book collection they are willing to share with the community?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
58 Replies

Happy reading, John!  I'm on the lookout for a few good books to read myself.  I want a good narrative - probably nonfiction, but a novel would be OK.  Something outdoorsy or badass.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@TomIrvine 

Have you ever read 'Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why' by Laurence Gonzales? I highly recommend it. It was one of the first 'outdoors' books I ever read and I have come back to read it multiple times over the years. It is a fascinating look into how your brain impacts your ability to get out (or not) of a tough situation. Also, I highly recommend reading the books centered around one of the most controversial climbing disasters on Denali in 1967 where 7 climbers were lost in a terrible storm. The two most widely available are:

'Forever on the Mountain' by James Tabor

'Denali's Howl' by Andy Hall

But there are a couple of more as well: 'White Winds' by Joe Wilcox (the leader of the fated expedition), 'The Hall of the Mountain King' by Howard Snyder (yours for only $768.57 on Amazon right now!), and 'Should I Not Return' by Jeffrey T. Babcock (Available on Kindle). Here's a link to a National Geographic interview with Andy Hall about his book (you may need to enter an email to get access). Andy Hall was the son of the park superintendent at the time of the disaster. @hikermor, your comment on the thread about the rescue on Mt Rainier made me just realize that this event happened the year you joined REI. Do you have any recollection hearing about the Denali tragedy? I have no idea how widespread the mountaineering world was reported on at the time. Edit: *I just realized my math was incorrect and you stated you joined 47 years ago. The article I was reading said the disaster was 47 years ago but the article was from 2014. Apologies!*

If you get a chance to read some of them let me know what you think! 

0 Likes

@TomIrvine 

These are some great additions to the conversation, I can't wait to get my hands on some copies and read them!

@TomIrvine 

Just got my copy of this today! I’m excited to start reading it. Thanks for the recommendation!

If you could summarize it for us that would be great...

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

And here is yet another. This one is about two teens, fresh out of high school in the 1930's, who decide to paddle an 18 foot canoe from their home in Minneapolis to York Factory on Hudson Bay.IMGP3660.jpg

See? Look what you've done. They just keep coming. And I'm just getting started. This is one of my favorites of all time: Full Tilt, by Dervla Murphy. At the age of thirty three, after caring for her aging parents in their last years, Murphy gets a bicycle and a pistol and heads off for India in 1963. No fancy equipment, just grit and resourcefulness - and the kindness of strangers. This was her first adventure in what would become a life on-the-move. All her adventures (I've only read three of them) are light on equipment and heavily dependent on her adaptability to circumstances and her ability to get along with locals - often without the benefit of common language.IMGP3661.jpg

@Philreedshikes @hikermor @Dad_Aint_Hip @bryndsharp @TomIrvine @Wanderer 

You all have inspired me to unpack a bunch of my books and post them here. One of my favorites is 'Climbs On Alpine Peaks' by Abate Achille Ratti who became Pope Pius XI in 1922. He climbed Monte Rosa, Mont Blanc, and the Matterhorn. Enjoy!

The year after the American Ascent of Everest.The year after the American Ascent of Everest.First edition of 'Becky's Bible'.First edition of 'Becky's Bible'.VintageBooks4.jpgVintageBooks5.jpgVintageBooks6.jpgHas anyone else never heard of J.E.B. Wright?Has anyone else never heard of J.E.B. Wright?This one is one of my favorites! A Mountaineer Pope!This one is one of my favorites! A Mountaineer Pope!VintageBooks9.jpgVintageBooks10.jpgSeptember 1963 Life Magazine.September 1963 Life Magazine.VintageBooks12.jpgJim Whittaker on the summit of Everest. He was REI's first store manager and I've actually held the ice axe in this photo before!Jim Whittaker on the summit of Everest. He was REI's first store manager and I've actually held the ice axe in this photo before!As a reference Barbara Streisand 'hit the top' in 1963.As a reference Barbara Streisand 'hit the top' in 1963.

I was wrong - my library is HUGE!!

It's just one book but I figure that, once I read it, I've basically read every English book there is because they're all just rearrangements.

Dictionary.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

@Dad_Aint_Hip 

'Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.'