I had read this original post the day it was entered, and after reading @hikermor question, I messaged him directly because I didn't want to endorse, or bring any additional attention to this topic. Seeing the rest of this feedback gave me the impetus to add my 2 cents.  I completely agree with @REI-CarterC that everyone deserves respect and the opportunity to voice their feelings and concerns.  I also agree completely with @Philreedshikes , @nathanu in that I too was raised to use "sir" and "ma'am" as terms of respect.  That ethos was reinforced by my job training when I entered the workforce in retail.  If those terms are no longer considered acceptable, I certainly don't know what the correct terms is, or should be.  And neither do the vast majority of retail and hospitality workers I encounter across the country...in fact, the world.

I personally cannot understand why "ma'am" would be considered offensive, but, be that as it may, there are much less volatile ways of addressing it. A simple and polite. "I'm not fond of that term.  Please refer to me as _______." Or a joking or friendly, "Oh, that term is much to formal for me.  Call me_____."

Can't we all just get along?

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.