I purchased a Perception Hi-life kayak hybrid paddleboard and I love it. The only thing is, I’m having problems with the  dry storage area as it leaks every time I go out. It has a plug and I have pulled it out cleaned it and put it back in repeatedly and every day I have anywhere from a half inch to an inch of water in it. Luckily I have a dry bag but there are times when everything else that I put in there is soaking wet. Is there another type of plug that would be more waterproof? Thank you.

0 Likes

@ChaCha Thanks for reaching out and we're sorry you're experiencing this issue! We have a couple of clarifying questions for you:

Is this the dry storage area that is located under the seat?

Does the plug have a gasket on it? Likely a black, rubber, o-ring.

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi, and thanks for getting back with me. Yes the storage is under the seat area and no, the plug is light gray,and it’s a 3 to 4 inches long malleable rubber plug that looks more like a finger guard than a plug. I have not seen the type of plug that you are talking about? This is what came with it. It’s been leaking all summer and I finally decided to contact you guys.
I love the boat and I get so many compliments on it. When I tell people I got it at REI I’ve gotten feedback that you no longer sell it. Is this true?

0 Likes

@ChaCha 

Thanks for getting back to us. We were referring to a scupper plug, which helps keep water out of sit on top kayaks, and often comes with a rubber gasket that seals off the hole. 

At this time, we are extremely limited in the stock we have on hand in several categories, including kayaks and SUPs. That's why we don't have it listed on our website currently. 

We recommend reaching out directly to Perception to ask them about the plug and see if this is an issue that others have reported. You can reach them at 888-52-KAYAK (5-2925). They are available to call from 1-5pm Eastern Time.

Hopefully this helps!

0 Likes

John, is there a secondary market for Perception Hi Life kayaks? We have purchased one new in 2020, and not used much since we purchased a Hurricane Skimmer 140 and Santee Sport 126.

How can we trade-in / sell at the REI garage sale?

0 Likes

@ENC_Outdoor 

Thanks for reaching out!

At this time, we are unable to accept certain items, like boats, for our Used Gear Trade-in Program. As such, if you would like to sell your Perception Hi Life kayak, you will need to look at other online resale platforms. If your community has a local paddling club you may be able to connect with them to see if they are having any upcoming 'gear swap' style events.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

0 Likes

If it is leaking from the rubber plug try and get some silicone grease. It helps lubricate the rubber and makes sure it seals up a bit better. A little grease goes a LONG ways. The brand I use is Trident Silicone Grease which is designed for diving equipment. I have used it for watch o-rings and hydration bladder connections. Just make sure you put it on rubber/silicone gaskets/o-rings and not foam gaskets. This would be my last option after contacting the manufacturer though. 

0 Likes