To REI: My Outdoor Research face mask inserts arrived in a 24" x 18" plastic bag. I decided not to drive the 30 miles to pick them up at the store to reduce carbon footprint, but they arrived in a plastic bag that was very oversized for the item. Please consider sustainable and planet friendly packaging in the future. Thanks

Can the offending bag be repurposed?  recycled?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

According to how2recycle.info, the nearest that accepts this type of recycling is 12 miles away. I suppose it can be repurposed as a trash bag, but still going to landfill after two uses. The best way to recycle is not to use in the first place. IMO of course.

@gwoo98 

Thank you for reaching out with your feedback about our packaging. We will pass your feedback along to the appropriate team. While we are making strides in improving the impact of our packaging, sometimes we miss the mark. If you are interested in reading more about our sustainability work, including updates to our packaging guidelines, you can find that information in our 2020 Impact Report.

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. Thank you!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thank you, John. I appreciate the response.

I’m sure the manufacturer is using a bag the fits multiple needs to keep their inventory down. Also, who knows what the weather is going to be in transit. 
A bag used twice is a win.