I can’t find any information on where I can dispose of old snowshoes. The rubber has cracked that holds them on, so they are no longer useable. I just don’t want to throw them in the garbage, but will if I can’t figure out what else to do with them. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Hi @FunOutdoorGal - Thanks for reaching out!

To be able to better answer your question, can you tell us the make and model of the snowshoes you have? You could also attach a photo of them. Depending on the materials/age/extent of damage, there are a few different possible options for disposing of them.

Thanks so much for putting in the effort to keep your old gear out of the landfill!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Optima instep. Bought them from REI a million years ago. One is in good condition and the other one is dry rotted  

image.jpg

image.jpg

0 Likes

Hi @FunOutdoorGal - Thanks for getting those photos to us! If you are willing to disassemble your snowshoes, there are some parts of them that can be recycled. The Optima Instep's blue frames are aluminum and the crampons underneath are stainless steel. Most recycling facilities accept both of these materials. 

For the remaining parts, your best bet would be to contact a local recycling facility and see if they accept any hard plastics. Otherwise, those pieces may have to go to the garbage. 

Thanks again for reaching out and for putting effort into keeping unnecessary things out of the landfill. Hopefully this helps!

Another option (if you’re on Facebook) is to look for a local chapter of the “Buy Nothing” movement. It’s a great place to find a new home for almost anything. We’re fairly active on our local group and we’ve found people who need or want items that we can no longer use and vice versa. 

it’s a great way to delay an item going into a landfill. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Wow, @Dad_Aint_Hip! Thank you so much for sharing that tip. I am 100% going to look into that.

Hive mind for the win!

That’s awesome. Never heard of them but I’ll look into it. The older I get the more environmental I get and hate to just throw things out.