This widget could not be displayed.

@RunningBirder thanks for this post, it's a great discussion topic!

I have a chronic issue with left kneecap dislocation, so anytime that running (or even hiking) downhill occurs, I have to be very meticulous about it.

Regardless, here are some of my recommendations based on what I have experienced and learned over the years:

-always keep your muscles semi-engaged, so that every time your feet land they are expecting to receive a load bearing

-avoid landing your feet on the ground with your knees straight (i.e. keep them slightly bent, with muscles engaged)- this can provide unnecessary stress on the joints that can lead to both short- and long-term injuries

-if it is a hill of low grade, you can sometimes "let it rip," as @TomIrvine said. However, be aware that the longer the hill, and the higher the grade of the hill, the easier it is to gain too much speed and lose control; sometimes taking a more cautionary approach, even if it means you're not running full throttle down the hill, is ideal... sadly, we aren't kids anymore with bodies and minds that seem to think they are indestructible! 

-That being said, if you actively focus on keeping your back straight, legs bent, and muscles engaged, your form will improve, bringing along with it cardiovascular efficiency, increased protection from injury, and overall long-term durability of your "runners body"

www.brynsharpphotography.com