Hey guys! I've got two dogs I hike/camp/everything with. Roughly 40lbs ish.(Photo attached. Sasha is the orange one and Dipstick is the black one.)Dippy and SashDippy and Sash I should hope to never need to use it, but does anyone know of something to carry my dog back to the car should one of them be injured? 
I found one thing that is supposed to do so, but it's also $200+ and I don't have that kind of money. I also, however, would rather be safe than sorry and have something should I need it. 

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you all!

This isn't a lot of help, but I have done this - just pick up the dog and carry on.  The weight of the dog nicely counterbalances your pack.  A sling (large triangular bandage) might help.

In my case, I didn't have to go far but I needed to cross two streams, which was "interesting"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

More help than nothing...I feel like adrenaline would kick in at that point, so I get it. 

I have often wondered the same thing.  My trail bud is a 94 lb lab!!

@J3andDogs and @lightning1 

Thanks for reaching out!

This is a great question! I have two dogs, Hadley (a six year old Alaskan Husky sled dog mix) and Apollo (a 6 month old lab mix), aka 'Jaja and Ding Dong'. 

jajaanddingdong.jpg

We haven't had Apollo for long enough to get him out into the backcountry very far, however, when I was living in Alaska I had a lot of concerns about what I would do if Hadley were injured far from the trailhead. I worked with a local craftsman to make a carrying sling, much like a rope bag (if you're familiar with rock climbing) that had shoulder straps on it. Effectively, I could lay Hadley down in it, roll it up around her with her head sticking out, and then hoist her up onto my back and carry her. The idea was good, the execution was not. We very much needed to work through many more iterations and prototypes! Here are some photos of the only time I used it:

Hadleyrides1.jpgHadleyrides2.jpg

Fortunately, this wasn't an emergency, we were crossing a suspension bridge and the planks were spaced out far enough that I was concerned she wouldn't be able to cross, or her paw would slip through and she would hurt herself. The sling got the job done, however, it was awkward, not very secure, and I was really lucky that Hadley is a very good dog and didn't panic or try to get out!

Someone with a much better knack for design has come up with a far superior version of what my friend and I were attempting. It is called the The Airlift Emergency Dog Rescue Sling by a company called Fido Pro. Not only does it look like it works much better (I just ordered mine the other day and I haven't received it yet), it is also small enough to fit in a backpack and not weigh you down (looks like around 10 ounces). I have had, and used, the Ruffwear DoubleBack Harness with our first dog. It would have worked in a pinch, but would have required some additional straps to use as a shoulder harness and likely would have only worked for a short distance as it is not designed to carry a dog for a long period of time.

Lastly, if I am ever deep in the backcountry, I likely have a fairly robust backpack on. If I left all my equipment behind I could probably get one of my dogs into the main body of the backpack in order to get them to safety.

Hopefully this helps, I look forward to talking with you more about your adventure pups!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Great links and info!  Thanks!

@lightning1 

You're welcome! I'd love to see a photo of your lab! Apollo is supposedly an american labrador but he actually might be a lab crossed with a brontosaurus given how big his paws are! Also, I wanted to call your attention to the thread, Favorite photo of your pet in the outdoors, we'd love to have you and @J3andDogs jump on their to share some photos as well!

0 Likes

@J3andDogs @lightning1 

I apologize for posting so many responses on this thread but I also wanted to call your attention to this thread, Pet First Aid while camping. It has some links, tips, and other good resources as well. Thanks!

See what I can do about a photo.  John is a pure bread American field trail lab.  Long and slender.  Not built like the stockier English lab.  Thank you for the first aid info as well.  This is a very useful community.  

0 Likes

Dipstick is a lab mix and I believe has some JRT in there. So she's a much smaller lab, but has the webbed feets. 

This is all very useful info and I will definitely look into getting that emergency sling. I could probably fit one of my girls in my pack if I needed to, but they definitely wouldn't be comfortable. Thanks for the info and I'll hop on over to the first aid thread as well.

0 Likes