Looking for some recommendations on winter drive up camping spots in North Carolina this December.  Areas I am considering are Bristol Camp at Fires Creek Recreation Area, South Mountains State park, and Ammon Branch, Nantahala.  Any suggestions or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Hi @KitCarson347! Out of the 3 options you're looking in to I would recommend South Mountains State Park (Ammon Branch would be my second). There are tons of outdoor opportunities around there-hiking trails, mountain biking, great streams. During the winter you may want to call the office ahead of time and make sure the bathrooms are open (828-433-4772). Alot of areas closer to the mountains will close all restroom facilities in the winter, so you'll just have to plan for that! Here's a cool article on the top picks for fall and winter camping in NC, Top Picks for NC Fall/Winter Camping. Otherwise, the Linville Gorge area is a great option! There are a few scattered campsites along FR 210 or Kistler Memorial Highway. Beautiful hiking and rock climbing in the area. Your pick! I think you have some great options. Happy adventuring!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes