Old Hiker here. I live in Massachusetts right on the New Hampshire boarder and do just about all my hiking in NH.  I grew up in a hunting family and was taken on hunting trips from a very early age.  By time I was 20-years-old I realized that it was being in the woods that I loved not the hunting. I began to go camping. Car camping at first especially when the kids were young. Later I began to hike the White Mountains solo. Then I started to Backpack and back country camp in the Mountains of NH. My longest stretch in the woods has been 6-days straight solo. I took a long pause from hiking for many years. I am now 61-years old and just started to get back into backpacking in 2020. I picked a bad year to start back as all the Huts along the Appalachian trail were closed do to Covid. Dawning my backpack, I took to the White Mountains despite the pandemic. I am once again hooked. I am older now so lightening my load has been more important than when I was younger. I am not an ultralight backpacker. I like my comforts. But through REI I have updated my backpack, my sleeping pad and my stove and cooking equipment. I am not a snow shoer or cross county skier, so I am waiting for all this snow to melt so I can get back into the woods.

Badger......