I keep wearing holes into the instep area between my boots of my lighter hiking pants.  I have outdoor research cirque soft shell pants with crampon wearing patches on the insteps that i have used for 7 to 8 years with no problems or holes and was wondering if there are crampon type patches that can be bought and then sewn onto my other hiking pants.  I just bought some Fjallraven bergtagen stretch pants as they were to be highly abrasion resistant, which they appear to generally be as they show no signs of wearing on the knees, butt, upper legs from scrambling on rocks and backpacking recently for a week, however after the week of backpacking and hiking, these pants are also wearing at the seam and have a little hole in them on the instep between the boots.  I have tried to look online but with no luck and wondering if i am calling the crampon type patch incorrectly or if you can even buy something like that if it is not already on pants. 

0 Likes

@mattj Thanks for reaching out!

We are not aware of any after market crampon specific patches that are available. However, you do have a couple of options that can help you avoid this issue in the future:

1. Use some Gear Aid Tenacious Tape Flex Patches. These are the most rugged patches that Gear Aid makes, and they are flexible as well.
  2. Wear a pair of gaiters when hiking. 
  3. There are some repair shops that specialize in this kind of repair: check out Santa Cruz Gear Repair.

Lastly, as you're looking for pants in the future, often times this feature is prevalent on backcountry ski pants as it protects the pants from an errant ski edge while touring.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ Thanks John.  I was actually looking at the Gear Aid Tape today as a possible solution for my pants and gregory backpack that is starting to wear out at the bottom.

I was looking at some other pants, specifically another fjallraven pant that has the beefier protection on the knees and instep that are trekking/mountaineering/ski touring type pants.  My biggest apprehension was they would get really hot during more summertime backpacking but may give a shot and see how they are.

Thanks again for the help.

0 Likes

@mattj, I know what you mean, when I find a great pair of hiking pants, I want to keep them as long as possible.

You might consider going to a fabric store, buy something really tough like cordura nylon(?) and have a local seamstress sew 'nicely shaped' sections/patches on the affected areas

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes