I am a mostly a day hiker. And I use Osprey packs (typically a Stratos 24 or Stratos 34 depending on the hike length, although I have an Aether 60 AG for occasional overnights) I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for including large tablets in the pack, since there is not a dedicated area. While I use my iPhone for on the trail (along with AllTrails app), I like to have my iPad Pro 12.9 (cellular) for use at longer stops, for easier map review/planning, for reading my favorite book, etc. With the keyboard cover I can even respond to an urgent matter at work if required (as long as there is cell or wi-fi coverage).

For the most recent trip I acquired a Pawtec padded sleeve for the iPad Pro from Amazon and used that. It works pretty well. But of course once I put a 3.0L hydration bladder in the pack, the iPad Pro sleeve is just "loose" in the pack.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks in advance...

@PalmettoHiker Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately, most packs will come with either a sleeve for a hydration bladder or a padded compartment for a laptop/tablet, but not both. Really it comes down to which option is a higher priority: a functioning and well performing hydration port, or padded protection built in to the pack for your tablet. You could consider using your hydration sleeve for your tablet and using a hydration bladder like the Camelbak Unbottle Insulated Reservoir - 3 Liters, which can be attached to the outside of your pack. Personally, I use a Phoozy Tablet Capsule, which gives me the versatility of carrying in multiple packs or on it's own. 

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

hmmm, a coupla observations here.

First, please consider a trip leaving the ipad at home and disconnecting for a bit.

I find that nature is best enjoyed when we can disconnect and get to point where we can concentrate on the present and not the FOMO, I mean, why are we outdoors in the first place? For me it's to be 'in nature' and to stop worrying about what's going on 'back there' for just a few days or hours, I know, but man, that's so hard to do.

During the entire 8 days of my recent trip to a remote wilderness, the members of my group were pulling out their phones at every rest stop and camp, searching for signals. big sigh...what's the point.

anyway, secondly, do you really need to carry 3 liters of water? YIKES! that's 6 extra pounds.  Are you hiking in a desert?  I understand that is sometimes necessary when hiking to a dry campsite, but that's extremely rare,  just a thought.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes