Something a little different from the geezer class....

Now that I am well into my eighties, my goals are rather modest, centering around archaeological and paleontological field work on the Channel Islands.  The current goal involves a bit of history as well....

in early December, 1941, to western Santa Rosa island to dig up pygmy mammoth fossils.  The were so engaged on December 7, a date that was also one of the lads birthday, when they weere instructed to get ready to leave, Pearl Harbor having been attacked.  They quickly plastered their specimens and departed.  The plan was for someone to retrieve the specimens at a later date.  Apparently other events had priority - shocking!!

On our ast visit to the isand, one of our party stumbled across a bone, clearly encased in plaster, eroding from a seaside cliff.  This is very likely the 1941 specimen, since there is other instance known of leaving a plastered specimen on the island.

Plans are afoot to retrieve the bones, complicated by covid naturally, but we get to do it later in the year.  Rather remarkably, one of the excavators is still alive, some 95 years old, and I hope we can get this done soon...

One of my specialties was retrieving specimens from cliffside locations on rappel, about the only aspect of technical climbing I can still pursue, and my ambition is to pass on the ability to new workers, at least one of whom has expressed interest.  My current helmet, harness and rope are all REI purchases.  If only REI carried rappel racks, it would be an all REI setup.  I was almost five years when Pearl Harbor occurred, so this will close the circle.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.