How about "Climber's Guide to the High Sierra" by Steve Roper, 1976 edition.  I checked the entry for Mt. Whitney and there is no mention of a quota or permit system....

Here is one of my favorites - The Adventure Climbs of Herb and Jan Conn - 2008.  I have two intersections with the Conns.  The first was on my first exposure to roped climbing - watching an early ascent of Finger Rock in the Santa Catalina Mts, AZ.  The leader reached the summit, finding that this was not a first ascent.  There was a note left by Herb and Jan.

Secondly was a series of appearances by the Conns at evening programs for volunteer diggers at The Mammoth Site, South Dakota, where they recounted their exploration of Jewel Cave, upping the length from about two miles to more than 50.  Jan concluded with a demonstration of underwater yodelling....A great time was had by all.

The Conns were explorers s much as climbers, searching out new areas and working in first ascents in what are now destination areas festooned with sport climbers (Needles of South Dakota).

Just checked the Jewel Cave website.  It has a surveyed length of 208 miles and still going.  I'll bet it will eventually link with Wind Cave....