We're excited to announce the 'Sweatin with the Co-op' Virtual Fitness Series, where you'll find fitness classes, expertise, and connection to get your year off to a great start. 

Throughout the event, Conversations is the place to share your favorite ways to stay active in your own neighborhood and learn from others who are on similar paths. Do you work out alone or with a partner? Is there any gear that keeps you moving throughout the winter season? Any songs that help you get out the front door?! Start here, wherever you are. 

featured_dec21_fitness_w0.png

What's your favorite neighborhood workout?

To join us for four enlivening weeks of fitness activities, register now. Stay tuned for more conversations here in the weeks ahead too!

Week 1 (Jan 9 - Jan 15): What's your favorite stretch?

Week 2 (Jan 16 - Jan 22): What impact has yoga had on your life?

Week 3 (Jan 23 - Jan 29): What's your why behind wanting to be strong?

Week 4: (Jan 30 - Feb 5): How has running changed your life? 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Walking up and down hills in San Francisco. 

@AM1@HappyFeet@elizabethcarolweber@Sun_Seeker@malisser@Joe@panzola , @Marlee@Tapper@PatrickM - All of you all have mentioned ways you get out of the house or interest in everyday movement during previous discussions here in the community. We wanted to see if you any of you wanted to share your favorite ways to stay active close to home!

I know for me it shifts with the seasons. I'm up in Vermont, so in the winter it is dark by the time the work day is over. That means I try to make the most of lunch breaks with quick jogs to the river or getting up early to do some uphill skiing on the hills around town.

Do you have any routines or favorites that stick out?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Used to be running.  Hopefully, it will be again sometime soon.  I have many better places to run now that I used to.  The dirt road my drive turns off of would probably give me more of a workout than my neighborhood used to! Twisty dirt road that drops around 800 feet to the floor of the valley, and over Setkoa Creek.  Then, I can turn around and pant and gasp my way back up again!!  Doesn't include my 0.2 mile drive, which should make a good warm up and cool down stretch.  For now, I lift heavy boxes and move them back and forth from the Bunker (a mostly underground cellar with outside entrance) to the house and back.  Assemble furniture, and move it back and forth.  The main room on this little house is really tough to arrange;  we're starting on the fourth iteration. 

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Creating new and interesting routes to hike around my town. I have hiked the circumference of my town’s boundaries (about 15 miles total) several times. I’m now walking the various neighborhoods, to explore and learn about who and what is there. I try to greet everyone I meet with a “Good Morning” and “Have a great day”. As a result I have met several new friends.

Living in the rural mountains of NC, Jackrabbit is a perfect place for trail running and mountain biking (almost 20 miles of trails).  We also have Lake Chatuge---I can be on the lake kayaking within 15 minutes.  And then we have the AT trails! So many choices! Yay!!!

One of the great things about living in Raleigh, NC is the greenway trails.   Almost everyday Karen and I will walk/hike to Shelley Lake.  It provides a nice mental health break to our volunteer climate and energy justice work.  Currently the Bald Eagles are back for the fifth year and doing housekeeping on the nest.   We also check the lake for winter bird species including Bufflehead, Hooded Mergansers and Kinglets.   

0 Likes

I live at the Grand Canyon and have opportunities to hike in the canyon, enjoy the greenway paths, and explore wooded areas away from the rim where most of the visitors are. It’s great to have it all right out my front door.

Walking to a nearby playground and strength train. Pull ups using various grips on the monkey bars. Push ups and gradually moving my feet up the ladder each set to a higher angle. Hanging face up with legs straight out doing rows holding on to the chains of the swings. Hanging tricep press - face the other way, grab the chains above your head, lean out and lower yourself by bending your elbows and then straighten back up. Feet in swing facing down doing mountain climbers and then combining those with push ups. Single leg step ups on a ladder. Propping one foot in the ladder, facing away doing 1-leg Bulgarian squats. Lunging from one piece of equipment to the next to form a circuit effect. Hanging leg raises from the monkey bars and then adding a twisting motion each rep. The possibilities are limitless. I am a high school strength coach and I videoed these and sent them to our students and athletes when we were at home zooming. A lot of fun outside in the fresh air and creating new challenges. All good things. 
kevin

Usually work out alone.  If there is snow on the ground, XC skis (skate or classic), if not roller skis or blades.  Usually at night, after the kids go to bead.  My Black Diamond headlamp is the essential piece, so I can see where I am going, but there are so many other pieces of gear.  Winter: Rossi skate skis, Salomon classic skis, smartwool base layers, Marmot Precip rain jacket, Icebreaker underwear, Darn Tough socks, REI overmits, Swix gloves, Fisher skate boots, Madshus combi boots. Summer: K2 skates, Powerslide roller skis, Smith helmet, REI nalgene, Camelbak reservoir, Darn Tough socks, Icebreaker underwear, REI shorts, Black Diamond tanks.