Bicycle saddles are a personal product, and can be a common discussion after a long day in the saddle.  I have tried many different brands, models and have changed my opinions of saddles over time. I have had several bike fits to cure habits I seem to adapt quickly that are difficult to remove from my riding style as quickly. 

Soft over stuffed padded saddles favored by new riders become uncomfortable quickly if they are used much.  For me, it has been trial and error to discover what I like on a classic bicycle or my newest carbon fiber frame. 

If you ride with a group, I am certain there are many saddles on seldom used bicycles in garages, workshop you can try if you ask members of the group. A hour ride is not going to find a saddle but 8  rides in a 2 week time with a minimum of a hour in  the saddle will find you a good fitting saddle, among a dozen riding friends.  You will be surprised by the number of different saddle brand you can try from an experienced group of riders.  

I road for many years on a cheap ebay Vader saddle, that fit my bum well and I used that saddle for a number of years, and that included the 200+ mile STP Classic event.  After recovering enough from an  automobile crash to ride again the cheap ebay saddle was uncomfortable  and I had a difficult time finding & adapting to a road bike saddle again. 

My body had changed during recovery from the injury, I was stiff and not very limber. It took some experimenting with the numerous saddles I had acquired over the years, but eventually I found a saddle I could ride with, and then six months later I changed to a different saddle.  

I am still experimenting with saddle changes, as I have aged and my body has changed.  I will again find another saddle I like for the different bicycle I ride the most. 

My suggestion is to wear a bib/shorts/pants with a chamois (pad that is sewn into your chosen garment) to find a saddle that works for your bicycle.  Please remember It could be a different saddle for each bicycle you own & ride...  

0 Likes