I have a Novara Buzz bike that I bought at REI (in 2015?).    I'd like to replace the stem that came with the bike with a stem that's adjustable, so the handlebars can be a little higher than they are currently.  I'm not sure of the size of the handlebars and steerer tube - this information seems to be required in order to get the correct size replacement.

Can you help me determine the size, please?  I've seen listings for stems that are 25.4mm and 31.8mm (or 1 inch and 1.25 inch). (Someone had this exact question that I am trying to do so just copied and paste did this 🙂 thanks for any info!

0 Likes

Hi @Bizzo !

Thanks for the great question! That stem will be a 31.8mm threadless. If you're looking for an adjustable alternative to the stock part, the technicians at your Local REI Co-op Bike Shop will be happy to order one for you (I don't see any available on REI.com at the moment).

Happy Cycling!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

You've got an answer that it's 31.8mm already, I just want to help demystify a little. The only size that matters here, and which is what you're seeing on listings, is the diameter of the bars where the stem clamps them. Easy enough to confirm the measure at home with calipers, or wrapping a string around the circumference and dividing that length by π to find diameter.

The size of the steerer tube doesn't really come into play because they are very standardized on newer bikes at 1-1/8 inch at the top where the stem goes on. Straight vs. tapered steerers differ on the bottom end, not the top. It might come into play on vintage bikes using threaded steerers and quill stems, but 2015 isn't even coming close to that.

You could also consider getting a new bar with greater rise instead, as adjustable stems rotate the angle of the stem, not only going higher but bringing the bars closer to you as well.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.