I recently got a full suspension mountain bike, and I'm wondering what's available  (hopefully from REI) for a rear rack that can function with the suspension.  I own panniers which I hope I'll be able to continue using.  Thanks!  

0 Likes

@jonbsolar Thanks for reaching out!

The Topeak MTX BeamRack Rear Bike Rack should work for your bike. In order to use panniers with it you will also need the Topeak Dual Side Bike Rack Frames

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

thanks John.  I took a look, and am concerned that the BeamRack is listed as just 20 # capacity.  Not enough for overnights.  thoughts?

0 Likes

@jonbsolar 

I can definitely see where 20 pounds can fill up quickly. There is another rack to consider, the Thule Tour Rack, which works with a full suspension bike. However, similarly to the Topeak one I mentioned, the weight rating is not very high. If you use two panniers and put items on top of the rack it can hold 25 pounds. It can only carry 15 pounds in the panniers.

Are you using any other bags on your bike? As it is a full suspension bike I'm guessing there isn't much room for a frame bag. You could think about a handlebar bag or a down tube bag. You could also consider one of those Thule racks for the front of your bike as well. Every little bit helps when you're trying to keep your weight down!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

thanks for response.  I was looking with some interest at Thule Tour Rack - surprised to learn its weight limit is so low too.  no room on Santa Cruz Hightower for down tube bag - can barely fit a water bottle in there!  My fantasy is to be able to load it up when I choose with sleeping bag, tent, etc for multi-day trips, maybe product doesn't exist yet to support the load.  Maybe we'll need to invent it!