@stephenkilborn Great question!

Whether or not there is such a thing as a tire that is 'too wide' is very much a great debate to have! Really, it is going to come down to the style of riding you like and the terrain you will be on. If you will be encountering variable soft conditions (i.e. snow, ice, mud, soft dirt, slush, sand, etc.) then a wider tire can definitely be an advantage, providing both flotation and traction. However, the added surface area of a really wide tire will also create more rolling resistance and friction with the trail, making pedaling marginally more challenging.

Personally, I prefer wider tires as I like having a better feel for the trail and the confidence that comes with that. I also like the bit of extra cushion I get with them (I also ride with 3" plus tires on my 'regular' mountain bike/bikepacking set up). It's not quite the same as having suspension on your bike, but it is pretty darn close.

All in all, it comes down to your style of riding and what kind of experience you are hoping to get from your bike. What are your plans? Where do you want to ride? Are you planning on year round cycling? We can certainly help narrow down the choice for you!

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes