Any idea when you will have this bike in stock in L or XL? Also what size should I get with a stand over of 35", 6' tall, size 15 feet and long arms.

Thanks

stephen

0 Likes

@stephenkilborn Thanks for reaching out!

While the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 Fat Bike is not yet available for pre-order, we can help guide you to the best size for you. The size XL frame will have a standover height of just over 31", which should give you all the room you need. Plus, with long arms, you'll appreciate having as much length in the frame as you can get.

As a fellow fat biker I am super excited for these bikes to come out! We'll circle back with the Co-op Cycles team and see if we can find out some more information about when they will be available. We'll respond here in the community when we hear back.

Hope this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks John

0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ 

Do you think that the tires on this bike are too big, 4.8" if I remember correctly. Or are they never too big? If this bike ever becomes available again.

0 Likes

@stephenkilborn Great question!

Whether or not there is such a thing as a tire that is 'too wide' is very much a great debate to have! Really, it is going to come down to the style of riding you like and the terrain you will be on. If you will be encountering variable soft conditions (i.e. snow, ice, mud, soft dirt, slush, sand, etc.) then a wider tire can definitely be an advantage, providing both flotation and traction. However, the added surface area of a really wide tire will also create more rolling resistance and friction with the trail, making pedaling marginally more challenging.

Personally, I prefer wider tires as I like having a better feel for the trail and the confidence that comes with that. I also like the bit of extra cushion I get with them (I also ride with 3" plus tires on my 'regular' mountain bike/bikepacking set up). It's not quite the same as having suspension on your bike, but it is pretty darn close.

All in all, it comes down to your style of riding and what kind of experience you are hoping to get from your bike. What are your plans? Where do you want to ride? Are you planning on year round cycling? We can certainly help narrow down the choice for you!

Thanks!

0 Likes

I live in Taos so I have a lot of different terrain to choose from. I rode in the mountains like 30 years ago but now I stick to the roads and gravel. I currently have a Bike Friday for travel, a gravel bike and an urban bike but would like to get back in the mountains and maybe doing some bike packing and maybe even snow. I am 70 so I won't be getting to crazy.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

@stephenkilborn Thanks for getting back to us!

It sounds like maybe a fat bike might be too wide for what you're looking to do with the bike. Fat tires are certainly fun to ride, but a tire that is almost 5" wide is going to perform its best on snow/sand/loose soil. If those are not conditions you feel like you will be encountering on a consistent basis, you may be happier with a plus tire bike like the Co-op Cycles DRT 2.2. My 'regular' mountain bike is an earlier model of this bike and it can handle most any trail you throw at it. I use it for bikepacking all over Alaska and those 3" tires really help with the varied terrain you get riding in the mountains.

Hopefully this helps!

0 Likes

The Fat Bikes appeal to me because they don't use a mechanical shock, it just seems simpler. Maybe I will wait and see if you get that Salsa $1999. model in.

0 Likes

@stephenkilborn 

That totally makes sense. You could also purchase a tire like the 45NRTH Husker Du Folding Fat-Bike Tire that has less width (4" as opposed to 4.8"). That option has the potential to give you the best of both worlds, a wider tire that gives you some cushion without a shock, and less rolling resistance than a full on 5" tire.

0 Likes

@stephenkilborn 

Hello again!

I wanted to circle back with you to let you know that the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike is now in stock and available to order! I actually picked mine up today and took it for a ride, it was awesome!

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions!

Here's a pic:

Tigger2.jpg

0 Likes