I cannot find MSR isopro anywhere, it was panic bought out. Can I use any isopropyl butane fuel? Is it the same thing? Planning a big trip and need fuel.

0 Likes

@BethinBaltimore it looks like we have MSR Isopro fuel available for curbside pickup - assuming you are in the Baltimore area (based on your username!), it looks like you could pick this fuel up in our Timonium, Columbia or Rockville REI stores. Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

It was not in stock in Columbia...only option was Rockville, 25 miles. Columbia is my preferred store, but website said not available 

0 Likes

@BethinBaltimore Thanks for your question!

The 'IsoPro' fuel by MSR is a mix of Isobutane and Propane fuel. At REI, we carry three different brands that are Isobutane/Propane fuel mixes: MSR, Jetboil, and Snow Peak. You can find the different options and sizes here. All of the options listed there will work on stoves that are threaded to take those canisters, they are all the same in that regard.

The difference between the canisters (outside of size and amount of fuel) between brands is the mix of Isobutane fuel and Propane:

• MSR IsoPro: 80% Isobutane, 20% Propane.
  • Snow Peak: 85% Isobutane, 15% Propane.
  • Jetboil: Unavailable.

The ratio of the mix is most important if you are camping/cooking in colder temperatures, so if you're using your stove in warm temperatures (above 45° F, generally) then you will likely not notice much of a difference.

Hopefully this helps, have a great trip!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes