Over the years I have built campires in a variety of circumstances - some just for pleasure  and camaraderie and some when survival and/or emergency signalingl was involved.

I simply used the most fragmented tinder available (frequently newspaper) and piled on a stack of dry, dead, progressiely bigger sticks. A nice glob of pine resin was oten useful.  The result was a blended teepee/log cabin structure with an adjacent lean-to which burned quite readily.  With time I found that some sort of bellows tube, often just a nondescript piece of rubber tubing, really helped things along.

On one dreadfully damp SAR night rescue, we simply set a lit carbide lamp on the ground, piled the most nearly dry material we could find around and on top of it, and eventually got a cheery blaze.

In wet conditions,dry material can be found deep within sheltering trees.  It may well pay to collect such items before campfire time or bring them from home.  Cotton dryer lint (not synthetics) is defintely good material.

Over the years, I have built fewer campfires, especially for cooking.  A canister or solid fuel stove is safer and quicker, as well as less environmentally impacting.

There are conditions where a campfire is vital, but there are others where no open flame should be ignited.  There have been times when I have used a canister stove only with the greatest caution.  Dry ground and high winds mean no fire today.

0 Likes