There are two general schools of thought on stoves... White gas vs canister fuel. Canisters are simple and easy, and there's pretty much nothing to break, but the fuel can get pricy after a while and of course the canisters have to be thrown away. White gas (Coleman fuel) is readily available and cheap, but the stove requires a pump (which can of course break) to get enough pressure to push the fuel out of the burner, and the stoves can sometimes smoke. Personally, I've used white gas for decades, in several different types and brands of stoves (MSR makes some great ones, Coleman makes some moderately priced ones), and have been happy with it. (I've also used propane on occasion, and you can get small refillable propane bottles if you decide to go that route, instead of the tiny canisters that many stoves require.)

The biggest difference in speed and efficiency is, how much heat goes into the pot? Lightweight pots don't absorb much, so nearly everything goes into the contents. Shielding it from the wind helps a lot, and the various shielded heat exchanger cook systems are basically just a fancy (and generally more effective) way of doing that. I recommend looking for something that works with various stoves rather than a stove-pot "system", because you never know what life is going to throw at you. As we saw with toilet paper last year, sometimes shortages affect the darnedest things. A little flexibility goes a long way.

0 Likes