Sandy Jeep.jpgUwharrie camping.jpgHere's mine. No upgrades. It gets me where I want to be, though the gas mileage leaves a bit to be desired. It's fun to drive even if you're not getting off the grid.

was not aware of the voluntary recall for oil consumption and I have mention increased oil consumption the last few times I was in for routine maintenance.  after about 90,000 miles I started to need to add a quart after 3,500 to 4,000 miles. Compared to previous vehicles over the years, I do not consider that excessive. I now have over 145,000 miles on it and always carry a spare quart of oil.

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I was a life long tent camper until 2020. My husband and I found a Subaru Legacy to have plenty of room for a 6 man tent (perfect for car camping), a super insulated cooler and all the toys we wanted (usually road bikes in addition to hiking gear). Occasionally an inflatable kayak. Now that I am a singleton and more than 70, I have treated myself to a Sprinter van along with a custom build into an adventure style van. And got it home just in time for all the Covid shutdowns in 2020.  I finally am getting to use it for some multi week long camping trips. I use the van as a giant, super comfortable  steel tent. I set up my camp stove, portable water jug, chairs etc outside, using the van primarily to sleep, hang out if it is raining (YEAH!!) and store a few extra toys.

We use a 2019 Toyota Sienna minivan. Lots of space for all the gear we might need - from just the backpacks to towing my homemade Trailer Top Tent. By taking out the middle row of seats, and a little work to create a flat platform, we have also successfully slept inside.

Grayson Highlands shakedown tripGrayson Highlands shakedown trip

2015 Subaru Outback. 

I love the space, roof racks, gas mileage, and smooth ride (for daily use). 

I am super picky about vehicles and this has been my favorite to drive. 

My only complaint,  I really wish the far rear window rolled down for my dogs (similar to a 4 runner). 

Hi jamielt,

Great choice of vehicle, with its much proven AWD capabilities in snow. 

Our medical rescue team’s ER Doctor had an Outback and he had no problems keeping up with our 4WD’s on the snow covered logging roads of North Idaho. 

it was a beast of an AWD!

👍

0 Likes

Not sure how I missed this when first posted by @Marc_OV_AZ .  Mine is an "oldie but a goodie".  In fact, I think it now officially qualifies as an antique vehicle with my state MVA. A 1998 Jeep Wrangler, with a few modifications to enhance its off-road capabilities.  It doesn't have much room to haul supplies, so, even when car camping, I pack almost like I'm backpacking.  And I try not to think about the gas mileage (or lack thereof), but I know that it can get me pretty much anywhere I want to go, and back out again.Jeep1.jpg 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Nice! The ultimate off road machine, of which all others are compared. 👍

0 Likes