What is your camping vehicle and what do you really like about it?

To meet our needs….the 2018 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum has helped make our camping adventures very enjoyable:

08E1108B-1A5D-4CF5-8DA1-E89BAD8274B7.jpeg

1. AWD for all the right reasons and seasons.

2. Good road clearance.

3. Interior cargo space enough for a large dog crate and camping gear. 🐺

4. Good gas mileage with regular gas.

5. 360 cameras for tight space maneuvering.

6. Comfortable ride to get us there and back. 

7. Rear windows have built in screens. 🦟

8. Just in case…enough cargo area length for sleeping inside the vehicle. 💤

9. Dependable. 🙏🏻

Don't have one yet but I'm thinking of getting an old CRV, Forester, or Rav4 as a starter budget outdoors vehicle

Old CRV but not the new ones, and I love my Forester (see above).

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

2003 Tacoma OffRoad with high Leer topper, 150k miles.  Sometimes I set it up with a platform for sleeping on top and gear under, but often when solo and just crashing before a hike I sleep in the truck bed or tent.

1) It's a Tacoma.

2) see #1😀

this

surveyorreade.jpg

or this

matt1_zps55100355.jpg

sometimes both

I got the camper 2 years ago, 2019 forest river surveyor, when I decided at 50+ that after years of sleeping on the ground or in the back of the truck all the time, I would like to try something different. Not a huge one but not a tiny one. It is half ton towable and with the f250 I can pass people going uphill. I have slept 3 people in there and could do 4. What I like about it is a full queen bed, fridge, toilet and shower. I have mainly used it at competitions and it has been in a park once. In moderate, or cold temps, it will go more than 2 days without charging the battery while running the furnace and fridge. When its hot I bring a generator and that gives me a electric coffee maker, the microwave, and AC.

The other is a 99 Aquaterra Sea Lion. It is a good boat for me. I like packing it and taking off for a couple days. @17 and a half feet, it isnt a great creek boat, but I have made it work. When I got it it was what was available in my price range that would haul me and my junk. There are times not to lie about your weight. Skydiving, bungee jumping, and kayaking come to mind.

@GregA - I’m really not a kayaker, maybe someday, but I recently (this April) did do an 8 day/100 mile kayak/canoe trip on the wilderness route through Everglades National park…quite an adventure for me. I’ve posted the video(s) here before, would be more than happy to post again!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

My hoka trail runners

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

For nearly 23 years our family camp vehicle was a 1986 Toyota 4x4 pickup.  Since 2011 it's been a '99 Ford F-150 4x4, but this past week we broke with the truck tradition and decided to go small.  My wife's work car is a Kia Soul, which has a ton of room inside and has proven to be more than reliable.  I fitted a basket on the roof and we packed gear as though we were doing a moto camping trip and it went beautifully.  32 MPG didn't hurt one bit either. 

2014 Subaru Forester: 1-4, 8, & 9 as well. It also can carry two kayaks on J-bars up top and two bikes via a hitch rack. The moon roof is also a plus when driving along back roads when the weather is nice and I am not eating any dust from other vehicles.

aka "Boonerelli"

Did you need to take advantage of the voluntary recall for oil consumption?  My wife's 2014 Forester was burning a quart every 3000 miles or so, so they replaced the short block at 96000 miles.  No issues now.  Sweet.