For more than a decade now, we have camped out in multiple national parks (via car) with the REI half dome 2 plus.    Make sure you look for the "plus version" as the extra inches make a huge difference.  My wife and I sleep comfortably in it along with our 90 lb lab.   While I cannot speak to camping with a child, this tent's design allows you to sit up comfortably with a vestibule and zippered door on each side of the tent.   The tent sets up in less than 5 minutes, and the fly has kept us dry during a 3 day rain event with more than 14 inches of rain.    On nights where you want to see the stars and little chance of rain, remove the fly and you can gaze at the stars and moon...it feels as though you are sleeping outside with the impressive view.      Also, we have used this particular tent for 5 years running, and have yet to have a failure.   It has an impressive array of pockets inside along the roof and along the sides of the tent, where you can store various items,and the doors as well if you want a breezeway.

Wish I could offer more advice regarding a child...

Good luck!