By "car camping" I assume you will be using a tent to sleep in but will probably be setting it up within an easy walk to the car, perhaps what some call a drive in primitive site, maybe with a tent platform, picnic table, fire grate, and even a pole for bear bag and/or lantern as in many National Forests. The nice thing about car camping is that you do not have to worry about weight. I take heavier food and even when I car camp, and I have car camped for up to ten days or more in a Subaru Forester without resupply while camping at five different National Forest Primitive Campgrounds. On the other hand, I take nothing that needs to be refrigerated or kept on ice.  I pack almost everything, food, cooking gear, clothes, and odds and ends in watertight plastic bins. I can simply pull the bin out of the car to find what I am looking for and do not have to think about anything getting wet or dirty as long as it is in a bin. It also helps to keep bugs and small critters out of the food. Since weight is not an issue, I carry a tarp to pitch over the picnic table, eating area, or over the rear hatch of the car in case of rain in addition to a tent. At one National Forest Campground I was able to pitch the tarp over the almost unmovable picnic table in such a way that I could back my Subaru up to it and open the rear hatch under the tarp so I could cook, eat, and access the plastic bins without getting wet.

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.