Re  Color: Lichen  Item: 8589530001

I want to use this as a cover for my small tent.  That is, I will put my tent inside or cover my tent with this.  It seems this does not have poles included.  Is this correct?  What poles do I need to order and how many will it take to allow this to be free standing over my tent?

How will I see/find your response?

Thanks.  Dwain L Sparks

<phone number and email removed by moderator>

0 Likes

Hi @dwainlsparks - Thanks for reaching out! 

We are going to look into this question about the Eno Rain Tarp and will respond here when we have an answer for you. Does the tent you are using right now have a rain fly already and you want an additional/larger layer of coverage? Knowing what tent you are planning to use this with could help us give the best suggestions for your specific situation.

You should get notified in an e-mail about this response and any following it. When that e-mail comes it, you will want to click on the blue link to get you back to this page, where you can respond again if wanted. You can also always login to www.rei.com/conversations to come back to the community and look around at other threads and check on your previous posts.

You will also see that we removed your phone number and e-mail address in your previous post to protect your privacy. 

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi @dwainlsparks - 

The ENO HouseFly Rain Tarp is not freestanding. It has cordage from the sides to attach to trees and stake into the ground. This product is designed to be used with hammocks, so there are slots in the corners for hammock straps to go through. Depending on the dimensions of your tent, it may still work for what you're hoping for, but there may also be better options.

Are you looking to have more space and/or privacy outside of your tent that is still protected from the elements? Let us know a bit more information about what you're hoping for and we'll be happy to share our recommendations.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Thanks so much.

I have an old canvas tent and do not want to replace my tent.  It is about 4' by 7' and has a standard pole system and pull strings about a foot up on the sides. The floor stakes to the ground.  I need a fly to cover my tent simply to protect the tent (and me and myself) from rain and heavy dew.  I do not need to extend the space, but I certainly could extend it.

I thought that these sorts of flies were standard camping equipment.  I want a pole system and cannot rely on tieing it to trees.  Do you have this product?

Thank you very much.

Dwain L Sparks

0 Likes

@dwainlsparks 

Hey there, Dwain!

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you are looking for is a tarp and pole system to protect your tent from inclement weather and/or dew. At REI we do not have a tarp system that includes both tarp and poles, but we do sell them separately. As an example you could use this combination:

The set-up above will provide a lot of coverage, likely more than you'll need for your tent. Additionally, it will be pretty bulky and likely too heavy for backpacking. It would be a system better suited for car camping. If you're looking to carry this system on the trail and pack it somewhere to camp, you might consider a tarp like the REI Co-op Quarter Dome SL Tarp and a pair of trekking poles (if you can extend the trekking poles long enough to raise the tarp over your tent. Additionally, some reviewers of the ENO HouseFly Rain Tarp did indicate that they were able to pitch it with trekking poles and sleep on the ground. Because it is not designed for that purpose we cannot speak to how well that works.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

0 Likes

@dwainlsparks 

One other thought: check out this REI YouTube video, 4 Ways to Set Up an Ultralight Tarp, it may give you some ideas and tips for what you're trying to do. Thanks!

0 Likes