Being born and raised in Chile, I love bread. When I started my life in US... well, let's just say that I was not happy bread-wise, so I began my learning path as a bread baker. Eventually I tested different ways to make fresh bread while camping. This is a very simple recipe to bake bread on the campfire using a small or medium size cast-iron pot.

Campfire rustic bread

Ingredients:

• 390 gr of flour, or 3 cups give or take (all-purpose flour is fine).
  • 1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 1/2 cup of hot water (as in, hot from the tap, not boiling)

Mix everything in a bowl and rest for 3 hrs (4 if the weather is cold). With flour-dusted hands, knead it lightly, just to shape it as a rather-flat sphere, and put it aside to rest for 30 more min. on parchment paper or oiled aluminum foil. In the meantime, put your cast-iron pot on the fire to get it well heated (lid included). After the the dough has rested, move it to the cast-iron pot (be careful handling it) with the parchment paper or foil, which will stay between the dough and the pot. Cover the pot well with the lid and put it back at the base of the fire, making sure to spread the hot embers around the pot, and on top if possible, to keep it evenly heated. Bake for 30 min. covered, and then take off the lid and bake for 10 or 15 more min. Take out the bread from the pot to cool down before slicing.

It's important to keep a good fire going while the bread is being baked, and ideally having the fire around the pot. Again, be careful handling the pot, as it gets extremely hot.

IMG_20200905_192952.jpg

Farther. Higher. Longer.