Labor Day traditionally marks the end of the summer season and the beginning of fall. Do you have any plans this Labor Day Weekend to help bring your summer to a close?

Please share your plans with us and remember to #recreaterresponsibly when visiting public lands or heading outside. For more tips and suggestions, check out www.recreateresponsibly.org.

Have fun and be safe out there!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Solo backpacking, Shawnee Nat'l Forest. Got to get away.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@SILHiker 

Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!

IMG_0950-2.jpgIMG_0948-2.jpg18.6 miles Friday, 12.3 miles Saturday, 13.6 miles Sunday. Lots of mud and spiderwebs, but still a very much needed de-stressing trip. Weather was good, low 80's in the afternoons and around 60 at night.

0 Likes

@SILHiker 

Looks awesome! We're so glad you were able to find some time away to de-stress. Thank you for sharing some pictures with us!

0 Likes

Backpacking training (which is something I do on the regular)! Completing a 18-mile local loop (combining several trails) with an 80+ lb backpack! Might be overkill, but it's a great way to stay in shape (and to make your pack feel super light when actually using it) and get out in nature!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

@bryndsharp 

Sounds...great? For these trips do you offer to just carry your friends gear with you? Or do you pack extra water? 

@REI-JohnJ Haha! It's not always pleasant, but it definitely makes the long treks much easier. It also helps me prepare for situations in which I have to carry others' gear (if they are injured, for example), and for situations in which I am the guide/leader of a group (where typically you carry extra water and extra of other supplies).

For my training hikes I just load my pack down with water. It's the easiest way I've found to maximize the weight that I'm carrying while keeping the general shape/fill of a backpack and ensuring weight is distributed evenly throughout. I usually fill the top area of the pack with something like a tent, however, to keep the water lower down in the pack.

www.brynsharpphotography.com

@bryndsharp 

That's great! I wish I had trained like that before I had kids so I'd be better prepared when their 'legs get tired'.