Hey y'all, so I'm just getting into backpacking and wanted to test out my (new and first) camp stove before I needed it for realsies. Decided I'd make ramen and got to it. Put the pot on, lit the stove, and sprinkled in the flavor packet. Did not anticipate it boiling as quick as it did and boiled over a small amount.

I drained the liquid that pooled inside the holes above the valve and left it to dry out but I'm worried that the salt and sugar in the water will compromise the stove. Does anyone have any advice? I saw someone on Reddit mention rubbing alcohol and compressed air to get out soup, but I was wary of acting on a singular piece of advice. Thanks y'all.

0 Likes

I would assemble the stove, after getting it clean of any debris that might be evident, and then light it carefully.  Observe the result.  You might have a varied color flame as the salt and sugar burn off, but I doubt there will be any significant damage.  

I have never experienced the problem you describe, but I am sure goo has been spilled on stoves and gas jets in the past.  Are there any words of caution in the owners manual?  If this were to be  significant issue, I would think there would be....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

There isn't much in terms of debris but I can definitely smell the burn-off as it is lit. Should I do a few burns until it doesn't smell anymore?

I didn't see anything in the owner's manual about it, nor on the company website. I know sending it in for repairs will get it cleaned but I was hoping I didn't goof too hard on my first try.

0 Likes

If it lit fairly normally, no mushroom shaped clouds or the like, I would just go ahead and use it....

It starts normally, though there is a bit more orange in the flame than when I first started it out of the box. I assume it'll slowly just burn out. I hope at least. It did discolor the burner a bit, but aesthetics aren't exactly a concern.

The one thing I am worried about is if it's bear, etc safe because it does exude a slight smell currently. Was kinda seasoning scented before, now it just ever so slightly smells of burnt.

0 Likes

So long as all the burner ports are clear and it burns controllable there is unlikely to be a problem with function.  Possibly loose stuff under the grill could cause a problem blocking the valve at some point since it will not burn off under there but its probably unlikely.

As to bears etc, your pot is going smell much more.  In any case you should be storing your cooking gear with your food in the bear hang or your bear can along with any other fragrant things (toiletries etc) some distance away from where you sleep.  Some people put their pot on top their bear can so they will make a noise if the can is disturbed ...probably a good idea with a bear hang too.  What is best depends on the location and the type of bear activity that occurs there.

Thanks to all of y'all for the help. I'm new and paranoid I broke or damaged a new tool, which definitely took some wind out of my sails. It'd make sense for them to be sturdier than being compromised after a spill. Lesson learned, though, I'll probably just boil water in the pot and then pour it into bags like I've read about.

I definitely need to invest in a bear bag/can. I'm not in bear country currently (central Georgia) but ain't just bears to be concerned about, I reckon. Raccoons...

I wouldn't carry a bear can in GA.  Hanging your food should be sufficient.  Just learn the proper way to set up a food hang and get good at throwing a rope over a tree.  We keep a carabiner tied to the end of ours which gives it weight and helps with the set up.

But speaking of raccoons, they are smart, not overly afraid of people, and will move coolers from under benches and open all kinds of containers to get your food so don't leave stuff laying around.  Create a good food hang and hang anything with fragrance or food or used in food prep.  The bigger issue with raccoons in GA is rabies.  When I was in Savannah, I had a racoon jump out of a dumpster right into my arms and he scratched me as he ran away.  At that time, an estimated 10% of raccoons in Chatham County carried rabies.  Not sure if that is true for the entire state or where you will be, but don't argue with a raccoon if one gets into your stuff.  The rabies series is not fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside

Sounds like a good time for me to practice my knots before hitting the trail, haha. Thanks for the advice! And yeah, I'd sooner prefer not get rabies. If a raccoon wants my gorp, it's all his!

Rinse it thoroughly with a light soapy warm water and a bottle washer...rinse and dry...then light it and see if there are any concerns.