One of my worst backcountry experiences (and the reason I don't go anywhere in the backcountry without my Garmin In-Reach Mini or a hiking parner, or both) was because I went on a solo trip in the middle of July and didn't plan property. I didn't carry enough water, didn't stop tontake breaks often enough and didn't listen to my body telling (screaming at) me that something was wrong. I assumed that I knew what I was doing, could handle it, didn't want that extra water weight, didn't want to stop and add unnecessary time to the clock, etc The net result was heat exhaustion, hallucinations (honestly thought there was a chupacabra outside my tent) and cutting the trip short. Longer term results were a few lessons.

- Drink before I'm thirsty. Eat before I'm hungry. Stop before I'm tired.
- Hydrate. I carry 2L of water all the time and I don't pass water sources without "cameling up" and topping off.
- Electrolytes. I carry Nuun tablets with me and will usually have one or two liters of water with electrolytes added. Worth noting, I only put them in one of my bottles and i stick that bottle in my bear bag at night now. I believe I read that here.
- Food. I tend to *hate* to stop once I get going until I get to camp. I keep a few snacks in my hip belt pockets so that I can eat without stopping.
- Clothes. I carry three pair of hiking socks and change them out regularly. In the summer, I wear very thin clothes that breathe well and have become a Merino Wool snob, especially in the undergarment area. I also try to wear a wide brim hat thats well ventilated. I'll also sometimes drench my buff in a creek and wear it around my neck.
- Pay attention to your body and heed its warmings. You know if you need fuel (food), eat You know if you're dehydrated (no / dwindling sweat, dark urine, faint or dizzy, you think there is a chupacabra outside your tent), drink.

What are some summer backpacking trips you've learned that make the hot weather more pleasant?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.