This is where it's really easy to get bogged down in the minutiae of the contract details.

For me, it came down to the fact that, although the Garmin base plan is $5 a month cheaper than Zoleo, I enjoy having 25 included texts (which I likely won't use up) versus the included 10 from Garmin that I likely would use up.

Plus - and I hate admitting this - now that I am in my 50s and have the eyesight of a guy in his 50s, I like that Zoleo uses an app on my iPhone because it's easier for me to read than the smaller monochrome screen on the InReach Mini (check-in messages and SOS calls are still done directly on the device).

BTW, last week Zoleo announced an additional service of tracking. For $6 a month added to your current subscription, you and your contacts can follow your progress along on a map. I've not signed up for this yet and likely won't. I have a premium Gaia subscription so I use that for tracking my own progress. My wife just wants me to use the check-in feature when I hit camp and wouldn't follow my progress on an app (I am, for now, doing overnights and weekends). Once I start hitting longer treks (a week or longer), I'll probably add that feature to my monthly subscription.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.