Since all y'all have never given me bad advice (that I am aware of), I'll ask another question.

I'm about to purchase a new tent for backpacking and I found two I want. As part of my "decision making process" (or, as my wife calls it, my "inability to make a decision without over-thinking it" process), I thought I'd take a quick pole (yes, I know it's supposed to be "poll" but since we're talking about tents, I thought I'd throw a bad pun in there).

• Option A - 1 person tent that's 4 lbs, 2 oz 
  • Option B - 2 person tent that is 5 lbs, 8 oz

They're from the same manufacturer and boast the same features except for the weight and size. Yes, they're priced differently but both are within my budget so I don't care.

Would you save weight and get the smaller one, meaning your pack would have to sit in the vestibule or would you keep your pack in the tent (and off the ground) and pay the price of another pound and a half on your back?

P.S. - I know there are lighter options out there but I've decided on a freestanding tent because my hiking goals this year include places where I can't guarantee a place to hang a hammock or stake a semi-freestanding/trekking pole tent. And lighter freestanding tents are not within my budget.

I now eagerly await your wisdom  (AKA, thanks, as always)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.