I am looking for a day hiking and multi day backpacking non-waterproof boot, preferably all leather upper, somewhere between the quality and price of the Merrell Moab 2 Mid Ventilator  at $110 and the Merrell Wilderness at $400. What do you recommend and why?

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@John you've got a niche request here, as the majority of full-leather boots will be waterproof, either by nature of the leather and/or by the addition of a waterproof liner (either GTX, Event or a proprietary material)! Also, it's helpful to know a bit about your feet because each vendor fits a bit differently - wide/narrow/medium width? High/low/medium arch? Any tricky spots, like bunions? 

Without knowing these details, we'll make a few general recommendations, then always encourage either an REI store visit or virtual outfitting appointment:

We hope this helps get you started, and we'll be interested to hear what other community members suggest!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks for the work you put into the reply. I own and wear the Merrell Moab 2 Mid Ventilator. I like that it is lite and breathable. It is my go to boot for hiking and backpacking in dry weather on not too technical trails. I find it not very good in wet weather or on wet, muddy trails and it does not provide enough cushion on rocky trails. I can feel almost every  pointed or edged rock under the ball of my feet when I step on it.  I also own and wear the Merrell Wilderness. It is my wet weather and winter go to boot. It provides plenty of protection against rain, mud, snow and pointed, edged rocks but it is heavy and my feet perspire like crazy unless it is really cold.

I have been hiking long enough to remember the day when all hiking boots were all leather and had no waterproof lining. Those were the good old days. All the leather boots I wore seemed to breath enough to not cause my feet to perspire, were stiff soled enough to protect against rocks, but could be made water repellent by applying various products that repelled water and mud in all but the worst conditions. IMHO, "they" just don't make boots like that anymore.

aka "Boonerelli"

Hi @John run and get this today! If you don’t like them, I’m buying the beer!

https://www.rei.com/product/155542/hoka-one-one-stinson-atr-5-trail-running-shoes-mens

Graysons and/or the sods later oct/nov -save the date!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Trail shoes and I do not agree. They do not provide the support or the protection I want. The closest I have come to finding a nice pair are the old style Patagonia Drifters, and they leave a bit to be desired. A couple weeks ago I did a 15 mile day hike through The Sods that included mud, gravel, stream crossings on wet rocks, and the foot abusive Rocky Point Trail. My Merrell Moab 2 Mid Ventilators were just not up to the job. I know what my feet felt like after 15 miles with nothing but a day pack. I do not want to think about what they would have felt like after 15 miles in the Sods with a full pack.

aka "Boonerelli"

0 Likes