Treatment for snake bite is a real mess. "Cut and suck"  was the preferred treatment back in my youth (60 years or so ago), but many other modalities were also touted.  Studies revealed that cut and suck actually did more harm than good, to say nothing of other methods that were even worse(like drinking booze).

Thus the current preferred treatment:  Get the victim to a hospital as quickly as is reasonably possible where the proper antivenom can be administered, if necessary.  Today, in many circumstances, that would be helicopter transport, if indeed the victim is in the back country - the victim probably isn't.

I recall a presentation about forty years ago where a Tucson physician was discussing the circumstances surrounding snake bites.  There were two categories - young children playing around in their years, often around the front porch and (2) young adults out collecting or other wise intentionally interacting with poisonous snakes.  no hikers.

I do recall one rescue where the victim scrambling up a rocky slope, came eye to eye with a rattler, lost his footing, and fell, crunching his lower leg and ankle.  That's it.

I quoted from my dog eared copy of the sixth edition of Medicine for Mountaineering, rather than two earlier editions I possess.  This volume is my personal favorite (there are other good references as well).

My assessment of the snake hazard, based on some sixty years interaction with the critters, is to leave them alone, and they will leave me alone.  In general, poisonous reptiles (don't forget the dreaded Gila Monster!) are a relatively insignificant hazard to the outdoors enthusiast, nowhere near that posed by rough terrain (falling!) or inclement weather (either hot or cold) or possibly even forest fires (currently a problem in some areas).

I don't take it upon myself to judge the value of all the offerings presented at my REI stores or on the website.  I don't purchase things I think are irrelevant and I let my wallet do the talking.

On of the key isues in treating a victim, especially when in a remote setting, is developing trust and confidence, basically informing the victim (provided they are lucid) about the measures being taken and what is going to happen to them.  While someone else is arranging for the helo, stretcher, or whatever, I just might possibly get out the Extractor and suggest that we try this gadget out since it possibly could be of some marginal benefit.  I wouldn't overhype it, but many victims are relieved so see that some measures are being taken.  This is situational, and it might not be worthwhile, depending upon the anxiety level of the victim, but it could be useful.

I oncee read that the traditional Native American treatment for snakebite was to simply stop, sit down, and remain quiet for days, if necessary.  Doesn't seem like a bad idea at all, especially if antivenom is not available.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.