OK, I have to admit that I have problems finding palatable breakfast food for backpacking. I'm not that thrilled with the eggs in the freeze dried breakfast meals that I've tried. I only do freezer bag or no-cook meals. I normally eat some variety of oatmeal for most mornings. After much research, I decided to see if I could make "scrambled eggs in a freezer bag". I purchased some OvaEasy egg crystals, put the "two egg" amount in a bag with the appropriate amount of water, and squished and rolled the bag. It seemed to mix up very easily, I couldn't feel anything grainy after just a few seconds. Got out my pocket rocket and toaks cup, filled the cup about 1/3 full of water, and lit the stove. Put the bag of eggs in, brought to a boil ( I don't normally boil water, just get it hot, but these are raw eggs), slowed it down to a simmer, and waited until they started to firm up. I opened the bag and stirred them a couple of times, cooked until firm alll over, dumped them on a plate (because I was at home LOL) added salt and pepper. I was truly surprised by the taste, they were almost as good as fresh eggs. Nice texture, tastes great, not watery or gritty.IMG_0912-2.jpg Yes, it took a little time and effort, and I'm sure it burned more fuel than my normal breakfast, but it was GOOD. I have some butter powder on order, and I keep freeze dried sausage on hand, so next I'll try a combo meal. This was really just an "egg" test. Next time I'll check to see how much fuel it takes, but I don't think it's a horribly high amount, since simmering doesn't use much. I'll post the combo meal results after that experiment is over.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.