I have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone and would like to use both while working remotely from the mountains (I know of a spot w/ good wifi).

Is there a decently lightweight solar (or other) charging solution that would keep both devices charged for a few days? I'd be backpacking in not car camping so looking for something that's not super heavy.

Thank you for any thoughts!

0 Likes

@13772266 This sounds like a great work opportunity! This is such an interesting situation. Having enough power for both a laptop and phone without being too heavy is a bit tricky. Considering the power needs of the laptop, the best setup I can think of would be a Goal Zero Sherpa 100 Power Bank with a solar panel to extend its capability.

As for the solar panel, the Goal Zero Nomad 50 Solar Panel would likely be the best option for the level of power you need, but at 6 lbs, that may be heavier than you would like. The Goal Zero Nomad 20 Solar Panel comes in at 2 lbs, but would take anywhere from 7.5-15 hours to fully recharge the power bank as opposed to 3-6 hours with the Nomad 50. There are trade offs either way, so I would evaluate how much power you need for how many days versus the weight you are willing to carry. Excellent question!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-AlexT Thanks so much for the reply. If I did a different approach where I still camped in the woods but could hike back out to my car once a day to juice up from a charger that I left in my car, would you still suggest the Goal Zero bank and solar panel? Or is there something better when weight is not an issue?

0 Likes

In that case, it will depend on how many days you need it. Something like the Goal Zero Yeti Lithium 200X Portable Power Station can charge most laptops about 4 times, so if you are only out for 4 days before going someplace to recharge the power station, it would save you from having to get a solar panel entirely.

I'd ask yourself how many days you need power between town trips, and whether or not you just want a power bank, or if you are willing to do a power bank plus a solar panel. From there, it is a matter of choosing a bank with the right level of power, and which panel might extend it to the duration of time you need. I personally would choose just a power bank, and charge it in town when you can. Unless you are not making frequent trips where you can recharge it, it will be simpler than dealing with the solar panel.

0 Likes

Those prices- YIKES! I must be missing something, I got my 25k mah power bank for $19!!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@PhilreedshikesThat's awesome! Basic power banks for phones and tablets come in at a lower price point. Laptops are usually trickier because they have a higher power requirement, and require a power bank that can accommodate their power needs.

Ok thanks

0 Likes

if your macbook battery runs about 5000-5500 mah, then a 25,000 mah power bank should give about 4-5 charges