As a member for almost 40 years, I applaud REI's decision (along with North Face and Patagonia) to boycott FB adds due to racist/hate speech which is prevalent on that platform.

From Wikipedia:

"Categories of speech that are given lesser or no protection by the First Amendment (and therefore may be restricted) include obscenity, fraud, child **bleep**ography, speech integral to illegal conduct, speech that incites imminent lawless action, speech that violates intellectual property law, true threats, and commercial speech such as advertising."

While I do appreciate the opportunity to keep in touch with friends, FB in my experience can be a cesspool of misinformation, hate speech, and racism. Sometimes posted by individuals, and often by organizations.

REI is a company, which can choose where it's adds are seen - and what kind of a message it is associated with. We are consumers and can choose where we spend our dollars. You have that freedom. My spending will continue to be with REI, a company that has always in my experience acted with integrity and honesty.