My favorite outdoor store, Mast General store, is now open for business at all 9 locations including the one right in my home town. They announced their opening dates 2 weeks prior to opening. I plan on heading out tomorrow to show them my support by dropping a pretty penny.

That being said. Do the folks at REI plan on making any kind of announcement to the community about their plans to open stores? The response: "we avoid providing specific details ahead of time because change would likely cause significant frustration for affected customers." is unacceptable and a disservice to all co-op members! Not giving your paying co-op members crucial details about the company because you're afraid it will cause "significant frustration" is a weak cop-out which is significantly hurting your business and the business interests of all co-op members alike! The frustration caused by the total lack of any insight from REI far outweighs the frustration any last minute changes would cause.

REI has not only lost a significant amount of business from dragging on these closures, but they also lost the prospects of any future business from members like myself who will gladly take their money to local cottage outdoor stores instead.

I feel it is safe to assume REI will give at least 2 weeks notice before announcing store openings. That being said I feel we are 2+ weeks minimum before seeing any stores open. Which leads me back to my question. Do the folks at REI plan on making any kind of announcement to the community about their plans to open stores?