I'll be needing buy or rent bear spray for a 2 week backpacking trip in AK this Fall.  Since I can't take it back on the plane with me, is it possible to buy from REI in Anchorage and return if unused?  Or is there a cost-effective rental option?  Alaska Outdoor Gear Rental charges $36 for 14-day rental which is a big chunk of the full retail.  TIA!

0 Likes

Hi @rybaadaj - Thanks for reaching out. It's great to hear you're gearing up for an Alaskan backpacking trip!

Unfortunately, we do not offer rentals of bear spray. Once opened, it is difficult to tell how much spray has been used previously, so we suggest purchasing a new one to ensure you know what you have. Our return policy is a satisfaction guarantee, so returning unused cans would not fit into the intention of the policy.

We understand that none of these options are what you are hoping for and apologize it is a complicated aspect of gearing up. If you are looking for bear canisters to use on the same trip, those are available as rentals in our Anchorage location.

Let us know if you have any additional questions and we'll be happy to help!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you!

0 Likes