Hi Folks,

I am respectfully asking your help and suggestions in getting my bike out of the SF REI store. I have nothing but praise for the wonderful employees at this store as they have always been very helpful, courteous, and knowledgeable.

I am 62 years and I suffer from asthma. I love riding bikes since the age of 5. I bought an pedal assist e-bike back in 2019 after my car was stolen. In hindsight, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. My bike is my main form of transportation now and I love the new zen-like experience whenever I ride.

It’s been a week now since I brought my bike into the Brannan store in San Francisco. They have been very busy and I was to pick up my bike yesterday. The mechanics state there are brake issues after bleeding and sanding the brake pads and are perplexed how to remedy. They said they will take another look today with a fresh set of eyes.

I am not upset and it’s human not to know all the answers. (I have the Boda Boda by Yuba Bikes and fully understand there can be complexities with e-bike tune ups.)This is one of reasons why REI is always my trusted source of outdoor equipment. But I need my bike back  today.

I appreciate the policy of not releasing a bike that is unsafe. I get this. I understand this policy and it’s a great one to have.

But it has been a week. I am stranded at home and I can no longer do my shopping, ride with my son when he bikes to school, and attend events. 

I don’t want to do this but I am coming down today (also need to exchange 3 shirts I bought at Labor Day Sale for larger size) and 1 of 3 things is going to happen:

1. Bike will be repaired and I get my mode of transportation back.

2. I will stay at store (inside, I have a mask and am vaccinated) and stage a protest.

I will demand my bike be returned to me and I am willing to be arrested. I will not leave the store without my bike. I may even lock myself inside the store with my bike lock.

3. Replace or lend me a pedal-assist e-bike.

Respectfully,

35+ year REI customer

0 Likes