• Hello. My name is Owen and I am currently a senior in high school and plan to thru hike the Appalachian trail (NOBO) while taking a gap year before college. I plan to start in early March to make it back to school on time!! I am an experienced backpacker and generally outdoorsy person. I am an avid mountain biker, hiker, rock climber, photographer, and more. Additionally, I am wilderness first aid certified, a lifeguard, have my Red Cross general first aid, cpr, and AED cert, and am certified in search and rescue. Working on becoming a wilderness first responder as well. I may not be the oldest hiker on the trail but I am competent and confident in the out of doors and determined to walk from Georgia to Maine. I’ll kiss that sign if it kills me πŸ˜‰
  • I am looking for hiking partners/tramily so please feel free to shoot me a dm on Instagram @all.knowen if u plan on hiking around the same time and don’t mind hiking with a fun, cheery, kind, and experienced kid. If it helps, I do plan on bringing my mandolin, so I can provide musical relief if nothing else. Haha!
  • cheers, see ya on the trail.

Wow, @allknowen ... Sounds like you have quite the resume!

2023? So you graduate June-ish 2022? Not sure I follow your calendar.

Good luck to ya! My son is just a bit older than you, and until recently found it difficult to do many things because he was young... People wouldn't rent him a car or a hotel room, for example. I mention it just so you can plan accordingly.

We spend most of our time further west, but we do get up to Baxter State Park occasionally. If we see someone your age playing the mandolin we'll say hello!

0 Likes

Hi @allknowen - Thanks for reaching out. It's awesome to hear you have an AT thru-hike in the plans!

You'll see that we moved your post to the Appalachian Trail Hikers group, where it'll be right alongside others conversations about the same trail. @patri100ia posted there looking for partners for a 2022 hike, but you're the first for 2023!

This is a great spot to see what other questions have been answered, as well as ask any you have that are specific to the trail! We're happy to have you here. Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Start alone... trust me, you won't be alone and that way you'll meet folks who are hiking your pace and have the same schedule as you do. Trying to get a hiking partner prior to setting out is extremely difficult as everyone has such different paces and mileage they are able to do every day. You'll be surrounded by many, many people setting out in March. You'll find your crew naturally by starting solo. 

Good luck to you!

0 Likes

Hi Owen!

I am hiking at the same time! I am a 20 year old female looking for a group as well. I requested you on insta and would love to talk more if you are interested!

0 Likes